Bee Sting Allergy: Symptoms of Anaphylaxis
Medically Reviewed by Mark R. Laflamme, MD on 29 Январь 2016 г. Written by Robin Madell
What causes a bee sting?
Bee poisoning refers to a serious body reaction to the venom from a bee sting. Usually, bee stings don’t cause a serious reaction. However, if you’re allergic to bee stings or have had several bee stings, you may experience a severe reaction such as poisoning. Bee poisoning requires immediate medical attention.
Bee poisoning may also be called apitoxin poisoning or apis virus poisoning; apitoxin and apis virus are the technical names for bee venom. Wasps and yellow jackets sting with the same venom, and can cause the same body reaction.
What Are the Symptoms of Bee Poisoning?
Mild symptoms of a bee sting include:
- pain or itching at the site of the sting
- a white spot where the stinger punctured the skin
- redness and slight swelling around the sting
Symptoms of bee poisoning include:
- flushed or pale skin
- swelling of the throat, face, and lips
- dizziness or fainting
- nausea and vomiting
- abdominal cramping and diarrhea
- difficulty breathing or swallowing
- decrease in blood pressure
- weak and rapid heart rate
- loss of consciousness
Who Is at Risk for Bee Poisoning?
Certain individuals are at a higher risk for bee poisoning than others. Risk factors for bee poisoning include:
- living in an area near active beehives
- living in an area where bees are actively pollinating plants
- spending lots of time outside
- having had a previous allergic reaction to a bee sting
- taking certain medications, such as beta-blockers
According to the Mayo Clinic. adults are more likely to have serious reactions to bee stings than children.
If you have a known allergy to bee, wasp, or yellow jacket venom, you should carry a bee sting kit with you when you’re spending time outdoors. This contains a medication called epinephrine. which treats anaphylaxis — a severe allergic reaction that could make breathing difficult.
When to Seek Medical Attention
Most people who’ve been stung by a bee don’t require medical attention. You should monitor any minor symptoms, such as mild swelling and itching. If those symptoms don’t go away in a few days or if you begin to experience more severe symptoms, call your doctor.
If you’re experiencing symptoms of anaphylaxis. such as trouble breathing or difficulty swallowing, call 911. You should also seek medical help if you have a known allergy to bee stings or if you have had multiple bee stings.
When you call 911, the operator will ask for your age, weight, and symptoms. It’s also helpful to know the type of bee that stung you and when the sting occurred.
First Aid: Treating Bee Stings at Home
Treatment for a bee sting involves removing the stinger and caring for any symptoms. Treatment techniques include:
- removing the stinger using a credit card or tweezers (avoid squeezing the attached venom sac)
- cleaning the area with soap and water
- applying ice to ease pain and swelling
- applying creams, such as hydrocortisone, which will reduce redness and itching
- taking an antihistamine, such as Benadryl, for any itching and swelling
If someone you know is experiencing an allergic reaction, immediately call 911. While waiting for paramedics to arrive, you can:
- check the individual’s airways and breathing and begin CPR if necessary
- reassure the individual that help is coming
- remove constricting clothing and any jewelry in case of swelling
- administer epinephrine if the individual has a bee sting emergency kit
- roll the person into the shock position if symptoms of shock are present (This involves rolling the person onto their back and raising their legs 12 inches above their body.)
- keep the individual warm and comfortable
If you need to go to the hospital for bee poisoning, a healthcare professional will monitor your vital signs, including:
- your pulse
- breathing rate
- blood pressure
You’ll be given medication called epinephrine or adrenaline to treat the allergic reaction. Other emergency treatment for bee poisoning includes:
- oxygen to help you breathe
- antihistamines and cortisone to improve breathing
- beta antagonists to ease breathing problems
- CPR if your heart stops beating or you stop breathing
If you’ve had an allergic reaction to a bee sting, your doctor will prescribe you an epinephrine auto-injector such as EpiPen. This should be carried with you at all times and is used to treat anaphylactic reactions.
Your doctor may also refer you to an allergist. Your allergist may suggest allergy shots, also known as immunotherapy. This therapy consists of receiving several shots over a period of time that contain a very small amount of bee venom. This can help reduce or eliminate your allergic reaction to bee stings.
Bee Poison Prevention
To avoid bee stings: