Nursing Assistant Career Overview
Becoming a Nursing Assistant is one way to have a career in the healthcare field without spending tens of thousands of dollars and years of your life on a college education. In this course, you’ll learn exactly what a Nursing Assistant is and the duties of a typical day.
You’ll also learn the procedures, knowledge and training that are essential to being a successful nursing assistant. Chapters will include information on basic anatomy, crucial testing procedures, the most common ailments a nursing assistant will see in her patients, personal care needs, and proper guidelines for patient mobility. We will also cover topics such as patients’ emotional needs, your own emotional health when working with patients who are suffering and legal and ethical issues you may face during your career.
Each chapter will end with a brief review in the form of questions about what you’ve learned. These will help you understand each chapter more fully and prepare yourself for the certification exam required by most health care organizations for employment. You can refer back to this material as a refresher whenever you feel the need to brush up on particular topics — keep it as a reference guide after taking your certification exam.
A nursing assistant fulfills a complex role in the life of patients. She is a caregiver who provides compassion, emotional support, physical mobility and day-to-day dignity in addition to basic medical needs. If you have chosen to become a nursing assistant, you are a special individual.
Lesson 1: What is a Nursing Assistant?
This lesson explains what the training requirements and qualifications are to become a nursing assistant, and what duties to expect while on the job.
Lesson 2: Vital Signs and Body Measurements
In this lesson, you will learn how to measure height and weight and check vital signs.
Lesson 3: Basic Health Knowledge
This lesson describes the body’s major organ systems and their functions.
Lesson 4: Common Symptoms the Nursing Assistant Faces
This lesson addresses some of the more common symptoms that a nursing assistant may encounter.
Lesson 5: Patients’ Daily Needs and Understanding Your Patients
The importance of upholding patient’s rights and understanding the measures of comfort you can provide.
Lesson 6: Patient Mobility & Safety
This lesson discusses the different methods that can be used to move your patients, the procedures for transferring and discharge and describes proper bed-making technique.
Lesson 7: Patient Nutrition and Exercise
This lesson addresses different types of diets and the importance of exercising.
Lesson 8: Activities of Daily Living (ADL)
Taking care of the comfort, safety, and dignity of each patient.
Lesson 9: Special Care Procedures
This lesson describes the procedures used in response to various injuries and emergencies.
Lesson 10: Special Needs Patients
This lesson deals the special needs of acutely ill patients and pediatric care.
Lesson 11: Legal & Ethical Issues
The legal aspects of the nursing assistant field, and the types of abuses to look for when assessing patients.
Lesson 12: Career Options for the Nursing Assistant
This lesson discusses the variety of work choices and facilities in the nursing assistant field.
Lesson 13: Glossary of Terms
Important terminology to learn when becoming a nursing assistant.
Additional Course Information
- Document Your Lifelong Learning Achievements
- Earn an Official Certificate Documenting Course Hours and CEUs
- Verify Your Certificate with a Unique Serial Number Online
- View and Share Your Certificate Online or Download/Print as PDF
- Display Your Certificate on Your Resume and Promote Your Achievements Using Social Media
Course Title: Nursing Assistant Career Overview
Course Number: 8900169
Languages: English – United States, Canada and other English speaking countries
Course Type: How To
CE Accreditation: Universal Class, Inc. has been accredited as an Authorized Provider by the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET).
Grading Policy: Earn a final grade of 70% or higher to receive an online/downloadable CEU Certification documenting CEUs earned.
Assessment Method: Lesson assignments and review exams
Duration: Continuous: Enroll anytime!
By successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Define what a nursing assistant is.
- Recognize vital signs and body measurements.
- Describe basic health knowledge.
- Describe common symptoms the nursing assistant faces.
- Know patients’ daily needs.
- Describe patient mobility and safety.
- Know patient nutrition and exercise.
- Describe activities of daily living (ADL).
- Know special care procedures and special needs patients
- Know legal & ethical issues, and
- Demonstrate mastery of lesson content at levels of 70% or higher.
- “This was excellent.” — Edsal B.
- “All the material was helpful.” — Janell F.
- “I have really enjoyed submitting my assignments and exams online it shows you how much you have learned after every lesson. The instructor always had positive things to say which really encourages you to do more.” — Sheri-Ann M.
- “Experience was positive, easy to maneuver about the site, instructor was available.” — Linda A.
- “Loved all of it!” — Stephanie K.
- “Kathy was very good thanks.” — Walter G.
- “About this course everything is in place and order. About the instructor, she is excellent to this course, I don’t have no regret in enrolling to this course, I learned a lot from her although I didn’t see her personally, she is straight forward instructor.” — Rosie C.
- View More Testimonials.